Foundation Strategy Manager
Our purpose is to make it easier for mission-driven organizations to focus their efforts on creating a better world. Our team works with innovative nonprofits with ambitious visions around free market public policy, media and journalism, and other cultural imperatives. We provide our partners with affordable and effortless access to world-class development services so they can make the greatest possible impact in their communities.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for an exceptional communicator and writer to join our experienced fundraising team. The foundation strategy manager will be responsible for helping our nonprofit partners grow their base of support from current and prospective foundation donors. This includes:
- Identify foundation prospects and work with our nonprofit partners to develop and execute a customized outreach strategy.
- Lead the writing and editing of grant proposals, reports and other donor materials. As part of this, work closely with internal and external teams to capture the “voice” of each of our nonprofit partners to effectively convey vision and impact.
- Help nonprofit leaders and gift officers prepare for upcoming foundation meetings including refining pitches, ask amounts and more.
The ideal candidate has experience with foundations, fundraising, communications, nonprofit writing or some other related field, with a proven ability to transform complex ideas into persuasive, consumable language for donor audiences. The candidate must be curious, entrepreneurial and self-accountable.
This full-time position will be based in either our Chicago office, or in a virtual office with a willingness to travel to Chicago 2 to 3 times per year.
- At least two years of work experience with foundations, fundraising, communications, nonprofit writing or some other related field
- Exceptional writing and communication skills
- Sharp attention to detail
- Ability to transform internal ideas, metrics and strategies into easy-to-understand and compelling language for donor audiences
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and follow through
- Firm belief in free markets, and individual liberty and responsibility as key solutions to our communities’ and nation’s toughest problems
- Minimal travel, approximately 2 to 3 times each year may be expected
Success at Bearing Tree requires more than professional ambition or a particular skill set. It requires the ability to operate within a culture of mutual support and high expectations. Here are some of the primary beliefs we live out in our work:
- Idealism: We believe the world can be a better place. That is why we are so passionate about working with mission-driven organizations.
- Commitment: We are fully dedicated to helping our partner organizations pursue their purpose. Our team members have the expertise, cultural fit and dedication needed to help them succeed in achieving their goals.
- Collaboration: We work with our partners towards a common goal: making the world a better place. We place tremendous value and respect on all of our stakeholder relationships and actively seek out feedback and opportunities for improvement.
- Integrity: Our reputation is paramount to achieving our mission, so we maintain the highest levels of integrity in everything we do.
- Fast-Learning: We are a learning organization. We stay up to date on the leading practices in all of our disciplines and seek to be ahead of the curve on applying the latest innovations that enhance effectiveness and achieve efficiency.
- Results-Oriented: We are focused on efficiently achieving our partners’ mutually agreed-upon outcomes and outputs. We regularly check in to ensure processes and timelines are meeting, or exceeding, expectations.
The ideal candidate is passionate about the work Bearing Tree and our partners are doing to improve the lives of Americans and excited to advance the organization’s work through providing critical operational support to teams and partners.
Commensurate with experience. Compensation package includes health (company-paid medical), flexible vacation, and sick days. Flexible work environment and schedule.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials to Sarah Dame (email@example.com):
- Cover letter detailing:
- Your Interest in this position.
- A compelling case about why Bearing Tree’s mission resonates with you.
- Your salary requirements.
- 2 writing samples, preferably related to donor communications
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.